Having a ball! (plus WIN beautiful Cable and Cotton ball lights)

Rainbow-Drops-320x479

A while ago, I interviewed the actress Emilia Fox about her interiors style. Turns out she’s a huge fan of fairy lights – stuffing them in glass jars, suspending them under her kitchen cupboards… In her view, fairy lights (or string lights as those in-the-know like to call ’em) are for life, not just for Christmas.

And she’s spot on. Get the right kind and they can in turn look cosy, stylish or just plain fun at any time of year. Which is why, after months of seeing them in all the coolest homes mags, I’m so excited to finally get my hands on some brilliant new ball lights from Cable and Cotton.

photo 2

These long strings of fat cotton balls are available in several different colour combos (or you can create your own using a handy online tool). They look incredibly arty when they’re not switched on; and absolutely stunning when the lights are working – sending twinkly coloured sparkles all over your walls.

new_mexican_offnew_mexican_off (1)

I went for the ‘Mexican’ colourway  – orange, lavender, purple, olive green, fuchsia pink, turquoise, Prussian blue and sandstone – a lovely mix of colours that seems to look good everywhere (above, far right). Which means another problem – where to hang them! Ideas include along or under a mantlepiece; along a bed headboard; circling a dressing table mirror; around a favourite picture; or even up the banisters. At the moment, they’re hanging from a curtain pole in my bedroom, and very lovely they look too.

photo 3

If you fancy a string of your own, they cost from £22.95 for 20 lights (up to £42.95 for 50) at the Cable & Cotton website here… or, you can enter my competition and get a string for free! Yep, thanks to the kind people at Cable & Cotton, one lucky Treasure Hunter reader will win a set of 20 lights in the colours of their choosing.

TO ENTER, simply leave a comment on this blog post below, stating where you’d hang your string if you were lucky enough to win; and/or if you prefer, tweet me your answer @WoodyJen instead. Closing date is 13th November.

GOOD LUCK!

dsc00150dsc00150_1

Above: the limited edition sparkly gold and silver colourway for Christmas

17 Comments

1. Lucy Oakley
    October 22, 2014 / 9:49 am

I would hang these gorgeous lights around my open fireplace to create a cosy wintery/Christmas wonderland

2. Sarah p
    October 22, 2014 / 10:30 am

Love the lights! Classy enough for me, but kids would love them too

3. October 22, 2014 / 1:16 pm

Love them. I’d hang them in my little boy’s first bedroom. He doesn’t have his own in our current flat but we’re hoping to move soon and find him a space of his own! x

4. Jenny Cole
    October 22, 2014 / 2:51 pm

I would hang these lovely lights above my son’s new cabin bed so that he has a cosy reading place at night.

5. Liz D
    October 22, 2014 / 4:09 pm

In our play corner which is too dark atm. Would look great around the circus tent!

6. Laura Collie
    October 22, 2014 / 7:33 pm

I’ve been after some of these pretty cable and cotton lights for ages! I’d drape them over our headboard, or a bookcase, or maybe just hang them vertically in a slightly dark and scary corner of the lounge in our new flat when we move in, to give us something lovely to look at, bring a warm glow, and distract myself from the things I’m not so keen on!

7. October 22, 2014 / 7:33 pm

Beautiful, I would hang these in the lounge around my fireplace

8. October 22, 2014 / 8:19 pm

I’ve been after some of these for ages! Kept seeing them on holiday but never bought them. They would go in my soon to be decorated conservatory which I am going to make Fiesta themed!

9. Luca Stephenson
    October 22, 2014 / 8:41 pm

I would hang them above my little daughters bed to help her settle into her new “big girl’s” bed. Just moved her out of her cot because her brother came along 🙂

10. October 23, 2014 / 5:47 am

Very glad to have stumbled onto this blog! Love these pretty light strands I would hang these in the corner of our conservatory behind the dining table as its starting to look a little dull out there with the nights drawing in!

11. RoseWillow
    October 23, 2014 / 2:17 pm

I spotted these gorgeous string lights in my friends house. Hers were cream, turquoise and blue – so pretty. I’d like to brighten up my bookcase with them 🙂

12. October 23, 2014 / 2:21 pm

My friend has these in blues and turquoise – beautiful. I’d like to hang them vertically down my bookcase 🙂 It would be nice to have a spring-summer set and a Christmas-y set!

13. Caroline Parry
    October 25, 2014 / 10:32 am

I love these! I would drape them around my huge photo frame of all the family, to make it even more of a focal point:)

14. Joyce
    October 27, 2014 / 10:17 am

Thanks for the recommendation. I would hang a string of these lights over the ebony carved panel screens in the bedroom. The lights will brighten up the colour of ebony and flatter the carvings I hope! Which colours to choose though….?

15. Natie
    November 8, 2014 / 3:16 pm

Ohh I absolutely love these lights! Such a great idea! it’s so refreshing to see how companies like this one take a simple idea and turn it into a brand that we all say we love. Great job.
    There are so many places I would hand them, but may be around the bookshelf will be best 🙂

16. Julie
    November 11, 2014 / 4:41 pm

I would hang these above my new hall circular mirrors 🙂

17. February 18, 2015 / 9:31 am